Founded by John D. Rockefeller, the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research was incorporated on June 14, 1901. Today, the renamed Rockefeller University is one of the foremost research centers in the world, contributing to 23 Nobel Prizes as well as numerous other awards.
When Rockefeller University decided to renovate its campus, it meant the temporary closure of many of the University laboratories. Knowing the renovation would prove lengthy, Rockefeller University sought a solution that would help keep the laboratories open on campus during the restoration period.
Rather than renting space in another part of town, Rockefeller University decided on a semi-permanent Sprung structure that would provide additional space for labs and administration offices, and could be removed off property after renovations were complete. Because the research philosophy at Rockefeller encourages the collaboration of research from different laboratories, it would have been more difficult if all the labs were not on the same campus.
The University poured a concrete pad on a seldom-used tennis court and started erecting a fully insulated 60’ wide x 132’ long Signature series Sprung tensioned membrane structure in December of 2006. The Sprung portion of the project was completed by January of 2007 and features five laboratory spaces, private offices, 104 cubicles, and a mezzanine level that houses two conference rooms, a large assembly space, a media room and storage space. In addition, restroom facilities are connected to the structure via a Sprung connecting corridor.