Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, a member of the State System of Higher Education (PASSHE), was founded in 1866 as Keystone State Normal school. It then became Kutztown State Teachers College in 1928, Kutztown State College in 1960, and achieved university status in 1983. The Universities approximate enrollment is 10,400 full and part time students in both undergraduate and masters programs. In 2004, Kutztown University needed additional swing space while they renovated and expanded their existing dining facility.
The structure was designed to include Dupont Tedlar Brownstone Red architectural membrane so that it would blend in with the existing campus facilities. Located near the main parking lot for commuter students, the structure initially operated as a sandwich shop to compete with the town’s subway restaurant. Upon completion of the University’s dining facility, the Sprung structure was reconfigured and renamed “black box theater” which is now a permanent addition on campus. The eight inch fiberglass insulation provides excellent acoustics for a theater application. The clear span interior allows for easy reconfiguration for long term multipurpose applications.